Monday, August 3, 2009

Let Me Be Honest With You

I love some of the phrases we have come up with in the English language. Think of "Let Me Be Honest With You". Does that mean you've been lying other than what's to come in the next statement. Other derivatives include "Let me perfectly honest with you" or just the simple "To be honest". Of course, there is also the "I'll give you my honest opinion". So, you were thinking of giving me an opinion that isn't the truth? I, also, love the phrase "this is a very difficult thing for me to do" when someone is about to give you bad news of some kind. What if they said "this is so easy for me, you wouldn't believe it"? How would you feel about that?
We put the words same and identical together ("It's the same, identical thing) which means we are talking the same same thing, actually!! How crazy is that?
I also like how we say we are "live" from a place when we are there in person. I'd hate to think of the alternative to that! Imagine someone just learning English reacts to this stuff. Must be interesting to witness.
Do you have any phrases/word combinations that strike you as these strike me? Let me know.

8 comments:

Karen West said...

Ain't THAT the truth!

I usually say, "allow me to be BRUTALLY honest, since that's probably the only way you're gonna get it." veg

JayRo said...

I have one!! Matt's always saying "if I didn't know better..." followed by some inane observation. So he's essentially saying, "I do know better, but.." right? So why even point it out in the first place?!?? Waste of my time, that man sometimes is. :)

Anonymous said...

This one really doesn't hit on the phrases that you are hitting on, but the one that just drives me crazy is "THAT'S RIGHT".
How many times have you hit that in some copy? Sometimes 3 or 4 times in the same piece of copy.

Another one is "it is what it is".
Of course "it is".

John Shomby - a/ka "Jombi" said...

"It is what it is"...that's another theat. Question is what would it be if it weren't?

"If I didn't know better".....that's another one....

Here's another that my sister shot holes through when she wa about 8. "Awfully good"......her question was how could something be "awful" and "good" at the same time? GOOD question!

Anonymous said...

for me it means - I am not going to sugar coat this, and you should relaly really listen to what I am going to say... not necessarily that I would lie otherwise but maybe I wouldn't say anything or I would say it nicer.

Stephanie Taylor said...

Alright here's one...I hate "No offense but..."

Someone says that to you, you know it's going to be followed by something that is offensive and just saying "no offense" shouldn't get them off the hook!

Anonymous said...

My favorite is "You won't believe this" or You won't believe me but.."

If I'm not going to believe it, save your breath.

Don said...

My father is annoyed by "VERY cool." According to him, either it's cool, or it isn't. There are not varying degrees of coolness. I think I agree with him, even though I catch myself using the phrase on occasion.

MY peeve is "it is what it is." Like you, I can't help but notice that it isn't what it's not.