Friday, August 7, 2009

Let Me Tell You About Somebody I Know

In the course of our lives, some friends, and even family, come and go but there are some who have a lasting effect; they helped shape who you are today. Let me tell you about one of those people in my life. This person was there from my first days on this earth. As a child, he showed me how when it came to just about anything. I was not the most talented but he made sure I was the most prepared. God knows I wasn't that good of a shortstop but he took the time hit me thousands of ground balls. I wasn't that talented a football player but he was there showing me the finer points of the game -over and over until I understood. When bigger "kids" were a threat, he was there to ease it. Saturday matinee movies; taking the subway to a baseball game; playing with his friends in the park - he made sure I was there and a part of it. Believe me, when I messed up, he was the first one in my face making sure I wouldn't make the same mistake again. He was my safety net, my confidante, my mentor. I was the straight man for his limited comedic talents. He, reluctantly, would serve the straight role, occasionally, for my attempted foibles. And, if you ask, who was the person who really got me interested in this business? - well, he was the one. Music was a big part of his life thus it became a big part of mine. Radio was a big part of his (he always was listening to one - no matter what time of day)therefore my interest in radio grew. He instilled a confidence in me that nothing was impossible as long as you worked at it. He was a joy to "hang" with, especially, on those rainy days at home. His creativity on those days slowly wore off on me. I can count on one hand the bumps in our relationship. It has weathered lots of family (and marriage) storms.
As I've grown older, he has now become my best friend. The first person I will call with good or bad news. The first person I want to see when family gets together. This "somebody I know" is my big brother and he is celebrating a milestone birthday this weekend and I can't think of any better way to wish him the best, and many more, than with this note of eternal thanks. Thank YOU, Big Brother, and have a great birthday!
I know you have someone in your life who makes you feel this way. take the time this weekend to let them know how much you appreciate them. Thanks for letting me tell you about my life's "hero".

No comments: