Sunday, August 23, 2009

Does Anyone Know 5th Grade Math?

Our 10-year old enters the 5th grade as of tomorrow. Her school gives each student over-the-summer assignments in various subjects so that he/she can stay sharp and have an inkling as to what's ahead in the next grade level.
Our little one kept up with her assignments and, of course, we are the ones who need to check her work and sign to acknowledge that we have sen and that the work has been completed correctly.......well, maybe , not necessarily, CORRECTLY but, at least, the work has been completed - especially when it came to her math assignments this summer. Of course, mom defers to dad when it comes to math which shows how much "on her own" our child is. I don't remember 5th grade math being this complicated. (The again, I can say the same for some of 4TH GRADE MATH!). One problem with multiple questions dealing with "expressions" not "answers". I was lost. Fortunately, our new 5th grader was able to teach me so I guess I'll be learning a lot of 5th grade math this year. Good luck if you're in the same boat.

No comments: