Monday, April 14, 2008

Ever talked to a 9-year old?

This past weekend, my wife and 9-year old daughter decided to take advantage of the nice weather and go out for lunch. I should have known what was ahead when the little one was doing, what I call, "The World According to Meredith" which, invariably, includes lots of laughing and silliness. So, at lunch, I decide to let the her in on a new, personal thing that Daddy is doing for her that will really affect her future, positively.
What was I thinking???? The conversation with her focused, primarily, not on the benefit of the fact that she would be taken care of in the future, but what would constitute that situation. Her little mind, of course, mentioned broken arms, the flu, a pulled muscle from running.....and, of course, it went downhill from there when I realized that there was no way this would be a serious discussion. So, it ended with either my wife or I having bubble gum stuck in our hair being a criteria for her benefits. Oh, the joy of youth!!!!!....I think I'll wait until she's about 16!!!

1 comment:

Karen West said...

John,

Bubble gum in the hair is a crisis. You must've forgotten what it was like to try to get that mess out without having to use a pair of scissors.

Kudos to the pretty pink princess!

Karen