Wednesday, October 21, 2009

WHY DON'T PEOPLE LIKE TO REALLY COMMUNICATE

I've ALWAYS been the communicative type. I'll strike up a conversation with anyone. Imagine the problems my parents had when I was a child. I would talk to anyone and , I mean, anyone (except for a girl, of course). Anyhow.....I guess this is why I can't understand those who don't (or won't)communicate or, if they do, they do it with their own double talk that makes you wish they wouldn't ever "communicate" again. Now if I send a text or an e-mail...oh, then the communication just flows. Whatever happened to looking a person in the eye and telling them just how you feel? Heck, I'm even guilty of it right now with this blog. The written word has now surpassed the spoken word as the most commn form of "communication". No wonder we don't know how to get along. We stopped trying and are hiding behind keyboards - both large and small.
I was at a conference this weekend that prohibited the use of cell phones, Blackberry's, etc. Any violation and you would be removed from the event. I have to tell you that it was a welcome change (my wife called it my 12-step program to stop smart phone use). I found myself talking more and I noticed folks listening more in this group. Since they weren't buried in their IPhones or Blackberry's (as most people I know are when anyone is talking to them), they were free to really communicate and that they did. I got to know these folks better than I know most of my co-workers - in TWO DAYS TIME! Let me challenge you to do this same excercise and see how it affects your relationships. I'll bet they get better! Let me know if you try.

1 comment:

Jill said...

My problem is that I am really shy and self conscious. I have enjoyed emailing you but talking to you face to face makes me nervous. I don't know why I am like that but I am. I will tell you this, once I get to know someone face to face then you can't get me to shut up. LOL