Wednesday, October 14, 2009

WHAT'S YOUR "BRASS RING"?

I will tell you (and some of you do know this, I'm sure) that, as the years pass, priorities change - sometimes, drastically. In my earlier years in my profession, I was always the guy who opted for the "brass ring"; always looking for that possible move up or expansion of responsibilities. If I didn't achieve it at my current place of employment, I would look for another venue that could help me reach my goals.
My, how times have changed!!!! I've had those "opportunities" for that "brass ring" again but, now, it just doesn't look as shiny to me as in the past. My new "brass ring" is something I know will last until I'm long gone from this earth. Inside this "ring" are my family, friends and he best of group of co-workers anyone could imagine. Give me a night around the dinner table hearing the world according to a 10-year old over any front row seats, backstage passes, sideline views, etc. Give me that greeting you get from your wife and child when they see you after a long day. Give me a weekend with the little ones who know you just as "Papa". Give me a night of fun and frivolity with special friends. Give me that special few hours you can spend with an aging parent and just listen. That, my friends, I have realized is the "brass ring" I've been searching for my whole life. What's your "brass ring"?

4 comments:

frank baum said...

Great comments. But ... ask a tough question, why don't you ! eh?

It's one reason I consider all life to be an Artistic process. The depth becomes more obvious when the surface matters, too.

Enjoy!

John Shomby - a/ka "Jombi" said...

That is a tough question for most of us mortals.

Anonymous said...

John, at my extended age (63), I have missed many of the brass rings in my life. In my military career, I strove for many rings that were insignificant but, my wife and son have always been here for me. I constantly think of Mereideth's "God is great" line and think of the "horror" at the dinner table but the pure joy of a child's simplistic view.

Anonymous said...

Cool article you got here. It would be great to read a bit more about that topic. Thnx for sharing this info.
Sexy Lady
Call girls