Wednesday, October 28, 2009

They Grow Up Too Fast So Take Advantage Of Your Time With Them

Each year, our little one's school has a special event for fathers called "Doughnuts for Dads". No, our children do not swap us for a dozen of their favorite doughnuts. What does happen is a nice little event to honor fathers and their children. In the 4 years, I've been with this little one, I've been to each one. Wouldn't miss it for the world because it means so much to her. My wife, especially, remembers when there was no Dad for her and the little one would be at this event by herself, I'm sure, wishing the day would go by fast. Today, as I left the event, I realized that this would be our last "Dads for Doughnuts", Next year - it's middle school and those things just don't happen there. I think of the country song by Darius Rucker "It Won't Be Like This For Long". That was what I was thinking at the first "Dads" event but for the wrong reasons. As each year passed, though, I began to regret that there was so few of these left. And here I was at the last one, today. Another sign that this little girl of mine is growing up. Another sign that her priorities will be changing. BUT - I am glad that I have been a part of this segment of her life.
As some of you know, I have a grown daughter - a wonderful young lady with the best husband a woman can have and three great children. I missed way too much of my first "little girls" life. I was an upwardly mobile professional and what happened at work determined my time and most of my life. I wish I would have heard that Darius Rucker song back then because I still remember my feeling when I walked her down the aisle on her wedding day. I wasn't there as much as I should have been....as much as I could've been and I wished I had been!
Take my advice, I am one of the few who received a "do over". Good chance you may not. Take advantage of your time with them. Use it....be there for them. It won't be like this for long!

No comments: