Monday, September 14, 2009

A LITTLE JOURNEY BACK WITH A DASH OF ADRENALINE

Had the opportunity this past week and weekend to head up to Central Pennsylvania for some business and pleasure. The business part brought me back to my roots in this business - a small community and an even smaller staff. All those folks on that staff just really enjoyed each other and what they had to do at their radio stations. You can just see it AND feel it.
The "pleasure" part REALLY tugged at my memory banks. I had the fortune of being offered to join some folks to see my Alma mater (Penn State) play Saturday against Syracuse on the campus I hadn't seen since 1988 (and only one other time since I had graduated a while back from that). The seats, by the way, would be in the press box!!! What a vantage point! Seeing the stadium; the fans/students coming into the game and then the band getting things started reminded of my younger days there. At one point, when the players hit the filed and the band played the fight song, it really got to me. Very glad that I could experience this because who know if I every would again.
The came the very BEST part of the trip when someone tapped me on my shoulder and asked if I would mind seeing the game from the sidelines in the 3rd quarter? I don't think I have moved that fast since high school. What a rush that was! (Check some of the shots on my Facebook page). I'm in the largest college football stadium in the country (108,000-plus capacity) and I'm ON the field!!!! Hearing the crowd exhort the team during a particular goal line stand right in front of me was amazing AND awesome. I can now understand how this affects players. It is SO different when you are on the field - so much louder. I was ready to suit up!!!
On the ride home, I thought about all that I had experience and I thought about the folks who wouldn't ever get the opportunity which, of course, made me feel even more fortunate. Enjoy those special moments. Savor them...and be thankful you have them!

No comments: