Monday, September 28, 2009

CAN WE NOW GO BACK TO JUST WATCHING THE GAME?

It is fairly well-known that I am a native Philadelphian AND that I am a strong supporter of the city's sports teams (along with Tastykakes and REAL cheesteaks, of course - but you can HAVE scrapple!). So - I was excited about the fact the pro football Eagles were on TV this past Sunday (no - I don't have the subscription for 8,000 games a week on my TV!). Lost on me was the fact that this would be Michael Vick's first game back after 2 years. I really wouldn't have known.....ya think? Wow...the hype about that was unreal before, during AND after the game. The Eagles won big and the guy was in for just 11 plays - none of which were even close to highlight reel material but, nevertheless, I saw every play over and over and over again. AND - the only player interview we get to see? Of course! Will Dante Stallworth get this same attention when he comes back next season? I bet some of you don't even know who he is. (Google him and you'll be educated!)
I have nothing against Michael Vick at this point. The man did his time....is doing his part to reform and now is trying to get back into his chosen profession. Can't fault him for that. It just makes me crazy how my media brethren make some things bigger than they really are. There were some real stars in that game (especially backup Quatreback Kevin Kolb) and they were pretty much neglected. I look forward to the day that a game is reported as just that - a game. Who won...who lost and who were the stars. Maybe that'll happen when Dante Stallworth returns.

No comments: