Friday, January 2, 2009

Ringing In The New Year

We usually stay in (or very close) for New Year's Eve and this year was no exception. Went to a neighbor's house to enjoy some good food, conversation and another year of Dick Clark's Rockin New Years' Eve. Did you get a chance to watch any of that? Were you feeling as bad as I was about Dick Clark? I grew up with American Bandstand and Dick Clark as the music icon of my generation. You have to cheer him on for getting on TV and doing the best he can considering his condition following his stroke. It still gets to me, though. I'd like to remember him in his younger days when we all thought he was ageless.
The strangest part of the show occurred when Ryan Seacrest had some folks on stage in Times Square for a countdown to Midnight. There were the Jonas Brothers and, then, just two people away, there she was - Taylor Swift - just a few feet from the Jonas brother who so, unceremoniously, dumped her on the telephone. Would have loved to see how that all ended.
The weirdest part of the night happened during our 50-yard walk home. We arrived at our house to find a very old, beat-up, 70's-or-so, Plymouth station wagon parked in front of the house. Talk about giving you the creeps!! Of course, my wife's first thought was that someone was in the house so I did my best "James Bond" and snuck in and checked the place out. All was clear. After looking closer at the car, I could see that this was thing was a literal clunker and now it's parked at my house. I called the police and they finally got out there around 6 in the morning to tow it away. Turns out that the car died and the driver decided that was it so he'd just leave it. Happy New Year to the Shomby's.
Would love your thoughts on all of this. That being said, I do hope the best for you in 2009. No matter how gloomy it may seem, stay positive and we can all knock this out together.

No comments: