Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Night of Mixed Emotions

It was party time.......oh yes...CMA Awards Night!! We started at our hotel where we hung out with the Eli Young Band for a bit. I told lead singer Mike Eli that next year they would be hitting the red carpet. In their typical, low-key, Texas style, Mike echoed the bands sentiments in that they were enjoying their "anonymity" this year and satisfied to celebrate their firs number 1 song which happened during CMA week. That was enough attention as far as Mike was concerned.
The show was one of the better ones kicked off with that rousing Blake Shelton/Kenny Loggins "Footloose" (wasn't it good to hear Kenny sing that again?). Brad and Carrie were great together and Zac Brown just nailed it with Greg Allman and that rendition of "Georgia On My Mind".
Really excited for The Band Perry, who just 2 years ago were watching American Idol in my office after a short St. Jude Radiothon appearance for us. Blake and Miranda win...as expected in my mind. Lady A pick up another one and Taylor gets the big one. If you were at one of Taylor's stadium shows, you understand why she got the award.
In the middle of all this, I get the news of a firing of a long time college footbal coach. I'm a Penn State grad and Joe Paterno has always been one of my idols....so the night began to take on a bittersweet flavor. (I'll address all that in a future blog, for sure).
The big, post-award parties were going.....Warner Brothers (Blake's label) was the best, in my mind, with a rockin' soul band and an energetic crowd. We hung out with Nick, Damien and Krista of The Farm and, somehow, you could tell that they would be an honored band in the future.
At the Capitol party, Luke Bryan was holding court and just happy that he didn't mess up his performance on the show.
The Big Machine party (Taylor's label) was a little too high-tech for me and the rumors of the label being sold (for 200 million, mind you!) permeated that event.
So, the week is done....what a great week....hope we added a little more CMA Awards flavor to your life this week. Hope you enjoyed the videos, the pictures, the blog, etc. As we leave this morning, I am thankful for several things - a boss who allows me to be gone this long; a wonderful format that keeps cranking out great artists and great music; a work partner (Mark McKay) who is relentless in his pursuit of information and entertainment and my lovely wife, who, if it's possible, enjoys this all even more than I do and makes it even more fun to experience. Until next time......

1 comment:

Jeff Cunningham said...

Hey, I remember you from the KLIF days. Norm told a story about your wife forgetting to buy the lottery ticket. That really stunk. Being an old radio guy, I know that a couple of million would really have helped. Keep smilin'!