Sunday, December 11, 2011

Can We Just Play The Game?

Over the past several weeks, I have gotten, increasingly, annoyed with the athletic "celebrations" I have viewed with various sporting events - primarly, football, but not confined to that sport.
I have always been of the "act like you've been there before" attitude when a player scores a touchdown on the football field BUT I will give them a general pass because I know that's the ultimate for any football player. What really gets to me are the celebrations after minor, almost miniscule, accomplishments. I see a player tackle another after a 1-yard gain and that player dances around as if he'd found gold. That's similar to a mechanic opening the hood of an automobile and high fiving everyone in the shop for doing that. I see this type of celebration over and over.
Then, there's the trash talk. The incomplete pass in football is, pretty much, a non-event once it happens but how often do I see opposing players "jawing" at each other on the way back to their respective huddles. Can we just play the game, folks?
All of this celebrating and trash talking came to head, in my mind, with an unbelieveably embarassing baskteball games last night between Xavier and Cincinnati Universities. Unnecessary celebrations....unnecessary words with opponents. The game has to end with 9 seconds left because both teams were so out of control. It was a street brawl....not a basketball game. This is what we've been reduced to and I believe my profession is somewhat responsible for it. What highlights do we see these days? The slam dunk in basketball.....the excessive end zone celebration in football....the major league baseball player standing an admiring his homerun instead of just circling the bases. Do ratings mean that much? I'd ask the coaches to get control of things but some of them are just as guilty. Ever watch a college baketball game and the "theatrics" of the head coach? Can we just play the game?
Then....I sense some hope from one individual. How refreshing was it to hear the speech of the 2011 Heimsan Tropy Winner for college football? It wasn't about him. It was about his school...his teammates. It had to be one of the most inspirational award acceptance speeches I've heard in quite some time. Robert Griffin III, you give me a reason to believe that the future may be brighter. You play the game!!!

No comments: