Saturday, June 18, 2011

THEE Man in My Life

From the first day I could recall anything, he was there......not the most affectionate guy but...he was there.....he was there for my first day at school. He was there for my confirmation, first communion, etc. A night I will always remember when he was there - I was 6 years old, being treated for a nasty head cut in a hospital emergency room (I was begging my mom to go outside and play one last time, sitting at the top of our basement steps and I leaned a little too far and tumbled down the steps to the bottom where the back of my head found a paint-covered cinder block. Maybe why I've been accused by some of having a hard head.). I was as scared as any 6-year old would be in that situation until I heard whispered in my ear, "Don't worry, I'm here!......He was there for to teach me how to catch and hit a baseball, throw a football, shoot a basketball, mow a lawn, drive a car, etc. He was there supporting me through all of my relationship mistakes. Never second-guessed me, although he could....and maybe should have..:). After my last one went awry after a bunch of years, not too long ago, he was there, calling me offering encouragement. He was right - the best was yet to come and I met her 7 years ago. He taught me the meaning of loyalty and obedience; what a little "elbow grease", as he called it, would do for me. He taught me NEVER to quit on anything, especially myself. He was tough and somewhat hard to please but he was the most generous individual I'd ever known. He would help anyone in trouble, whether he knew them or not.
Today, I am one of the fortunate ones who, at my age, get to spend a day with him. My Dad.....if I turn out to be half the person he's been, I'm good! My Dad - THEE man in my life! Please remember yours today.....whether he is here or not....believe he is always "here" for you.

1 comment:

Tote said...

John, that was beautiful! Very well said. I am glad you will be with him on Fathers Day.

Susan