Friday, November 13, 2009

THE CMA AWARDS SHOW;POST-AWARDS PARTIES AND THE RETURN HOME

I don't know if you had a chance to watch Wednesday night's CMA Awards show but I thought it's the best I've seen. It, honestly, didn't seem like a 3-hour show. It moved along very well. Best performance? Carrie Underwood with Lady Antebellum a close second. Worst? I'm afraid to say Taylor Swift's opening number. That was just a tad weird. As far as the awards, we had predicted on our broadcast that Lady A would beat Rascal Flatts for vocal group. I was surprised by their win for "I Run To You". Wasn't surprised by Taylor winning Entertainer of the Year but her female vocalist award was a big shocker to me. I thought Carrie Underwood had a stronghold on that one. I picked Darius Rucker to win the new artist award. 3 #1's will do that for you.
After the show, we hit the Capitol party and ran into Dierks Bentley, Luke Bryan, Emily West and, of course, the big stars - Keith Urban (with wife Nicole Kidman), Charles, Hillary and Dave from Lady A and Darius who was most gracious to the Eagle as where the folks from Lady A. At the Big Machine party Reba and Taylor were hanging out when we got there. Taylor's eye caught me and she came over to give me a huge hug and thank the Eagle for being in her corner since day one. She is now bona-fide star and you wouldn't know it. One of the most well-grounded teens I have ever met.
Now for the trip home......of course, we watched from afar, what the Weather Channel called the "Atlantic Assault". I had no idea when, or if, we would get home. We left Nashville Thursday morning in bright sunshine and arrived in the rain in Baltimore. Our flight to Norfolk?....they tried twice.....up.....no good...and then back to Baltimore....we land...we wait...we take off again.....try to land in Norfolk again.....no good....then back to Baltimore. 4 hours in the air in part of what felt like a bad amusement park ride. Pretty scary in spots. So, we spent the night in Baltimore finally got in here this morning. The drive home was surreal. Looked like Isabel all over again. It was good to be home but , in just a few days, we'll really find out how bad this 3-day "assault" was. I do hope you are safe and dry.

No comments: